Tips On Settling Down to Another Country


It feels like it’s only yesterday since I left the Philippines and make a new life here in Australia.  I still remember finding myself sitting in the airport, tears keeps on pouring while waiting to board my plane. I guess sepanx kicks in and knowing it will take a while to see my family again. When I first arrived here, there are so many things running through my mind, not to mention the overwhelming emotions consuming me. I am excited that finally I will be with my husband but at the same time apprehensive because everything is so new to me. Yes, I may have been here before but only for a short stay however it’s entirely different when you move and live abroad permanently – you’re adjusting on a larger scale, back to square one.

In order to make my transition smooth flowing to my new country, there are things I did that really helps me to settle down. Hope it helps.

1. Do your paper work
Sort out first what paper works you need to the country you've move to such as medical card (medicare in Australia), opening a bank account, getting a tax file number among other things. Know what papers need to sort to the country you are moving to.

2. Learn & Adapt to your new culture
Moving overseas is like taking a giant leap into the unknown especially to a culture we almost know nothing about. To overcome culture differences, we must educate ourselves by reading, observing and check out the internet about the country we are moving to. We should also familiarize ourselves with the country's spoken language.

3. Cope with your homesickness
Even if I am with my partner or with friends, there are times that I will feel lonely and long for my family and all those things familiar. To cope with my homesickness, I keep in touch with my family and friends as often as I can, keep myself busy to divert my loneliness, find myself a new hobby (gardening & baking) and think of happy thoughts.

4. Socialize/Meet new people
This is the time to make new friends. Link up with friends of friends (like what my sister-in-law did, she introduce me to her set of friends), go to church, do volunteer work - do whatever to meet new people.

5. Explore
Go out and wander the streets of your new home. Familiarize yourself with your neighborhood and the city you live in. Be adventurous but at the same time keep yourself safe.

6. Get a job
I know my reasons to live here in Australia is to be with my husband. Though he provides for me but getting a job will not only offer me financial stability but also it gives me some sense of fulfilment and worth. I know it will be tough at first but if you are willing and persistent you will be able to find a job.



26 comments

  1. Great looking blog you have Aubrey! It's a challenge moving to a new country but it's also so rewarding to find another place to discover and eventually call home. All the best and thank you for stopping by my blog, too!

    Celine | www.thehappilyeverafterproject.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celine! Yes it is a challenge to move to a new country. The first few months I really felt the homesick but with the support of my husband and his family and some friends I met here, I adjusted well.

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! Perfect for a friend who's migrating to the AU soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! I hope your friend will love it here xx. I wish him/her all the best :) Thank you for dropping by my blog!

      Delete
  3. It must be hard living in another country and being far from home and people you grew up with. These tips, I am sure will be very helpful for those migrating to other countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. But I'm pretty sure once you establish your life to the country you move in, everything will be good. Thank you for dropping by :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blog! I'm also a Pinay living abroad. I'm currently based in Seoul. I totally understand what you're going through, but don't worry because it gets better. And also once you have kids the homesickness will slowly fade because home is where your new family is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie. I agree it gets better as the days passed by. I would love to visit the Seoul. It's actually one of my travel bucket list. Maybe someday, when time permits I will be able to see the beauty of Seoul with my family. Thank you. xx

      Delete
  5. Great tips! I hope you have found your rhythm there already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meikah! Yes, I already found my rhythm here. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. But don't forget to stay in touch with family members from back home. There are free ways to get in touch with them. We're lucky these days that we have these options. All the best for your new life in Oz!

    Cris Evert Lato Ruffolo
    www.readingruffolos.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Thanks to smart phone and those apps to stay connected with my family. They were truly a great help and ease my homesickness. Thank you for dropping by! xx

      Delete
  7. I agree, moving totally to another country is challenging and exciting at the same time. New home, new friends, new work. Thanks for sharing these tips dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! Thank you dear xx.

      Delete
  8. Moving to another country is something that hubby and I talk about. We haven't decided yet but if we do decide to do so, I'll keep these things in mind. I'm sure they're gonna be a big help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best for your family whatever you decided. I'm glad to be of help with those tips I shared. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been in talks of this as well, but for now I can't imagine living anywhere else. If we do talk about it I'll make sure to read about your post again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denice! Thank you for considering and dropping by. All the best for you :)

      Delete
  11. These are great tips! :) I agree with Jackie that once you've got a baby along the way, it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy. Indeed. I'm looking forward to my little one. Thank you fro dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. thanks for this practical read. learned a lot from your post. Thanks for showing us how to do it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these tips will be handy should I decide to uproot my little family + settle in another country. It is the remotest of possibilities, but i am not closing my doors, in case opportunities arise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We never know what happen in the future and I wish you all the best.

      Delete
  14. I'll keep these things in mind if and when I decide to go to a different country. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! Thank you :)

      Delete