What's your Meme?

As I’m reading my favorite forum this morning, there are new memes posted by the members which are so funny that sometimes my family often think that I’m crazy when they heard me giggling. Honestly speaking, this forum opened up a lot of information and words which I have never encountered before. In fact, I don’t even know what 'MEME' means, or what's the meaning of 'OTP', 'IMO', 'CTO' etc..  that was repeatedly mention by the people here.  


I was a silent lurker there at first but at some point, I joined the bandwagon. I thought I was the only one who’s confused and lost and trying to figure out exactly what they meant but I smiled seeing some other people  who were having the same dilemma as me. However, I don’t want to be tag as dull-witted so I often consult uncle google for the translation and meaning. 

Moving on, I listed down the internet slangs and meme I came across on the forum and here’s what I gather:

OSSIM – is an acronym or slang word for “Awesome ”. 

YOLO – “You Only Live Once ”. Featured in the hip hop single of Drake, ‘The Motto”, YOLO has been often used as a hashtag on Twitter to bring attention to exciting events or excuse irresponsible behaviours. 

OTP – “One True Pairing ”. A fandom abbreviation referring to one's favorite fictional couple ("ship")

TBH – “To Be Honest ”  TBH, I'm so flabbergasted!

DM – “Direct Message ”. To send direct message in twitter. “ DM me your location.”

TTYL – “Talk To You Later I got to go. I'll TTYL.

ROFL – “Rolling On Floor Laughing ”. Indicates great amusement at something in a discussion group.  

(Y) – the MSN Messenger code that displays a thumps up emoticon. The food was superb (Y)!

IRL – “In Real Life ”. Often used in internet chat rooms to let people you are talking about something in the real world and not in the internet world.  Also can be used to differentiate between actor/actress and the characters they play.

IMO / IMHO – shorten for “In My Opinion ” / “In my Honest Opinion ”. 

PROLLY – contracted form of “Probably ”. Typically used in online conversations, although REALLY lazy people have started using it in verbal conversations as well.  

LURKER – Someone who frequents a Usenet group /or Forum without participating in discussions.

MEME – is an idea that spreads like a virus by word of mouth, email, blogs and social media.

IMMA – Used in place of “I am going to” Technically should be spelled i'mma but since this is a shortened version, we leave out the apostrophe!  Imma going to watch a movie.

GIF – stands for “Graphics Interface Format ”, which allows for a limited moving image, like a repeating moment from a movie. Hint: visit Tumblr and you will find a lot of gif memes posted by bloggers.

There are thousands of Memes posted in the internet. If you don't know one yet, better check and keep yourself updated on the latest.  

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have RL situation to attend to LOL. Enjoy your weekend!!! ♥




translation source: urban dictionary, knowyourmeme, conduit, internet slang